Win – Win Works! Plan ahead to help new employees join your team by implementing onboarding best practices.
A new job is a little bit like marrying into a family. It can feel welcome or stressful, and first impressions really matter. A structured and thoughtful onboarding process for all new hires will go a long way to ensure employee retention AND boost manager satisfaction.
• Start by creating a plan – Effectively onboarding new employees doesn’t start or end with filling out payroll information in the HR department. Spelling out your company’s culture is key when analyzing onboarding best practices. How was the company started? What are your goals? Where does the newbie fit? Communication is the key to understanding your company’s culture.
• Begin before their start date – After you’ve hired them – send a welcome message from the top brass or supervisor with specifics – where and when to report, what to expect in the first week. Be clear about reporting relationships. Be enthusiastic about their potential… you’ve just made an investment!
• Tell your team too – Announce your new hire with enthusiasm – it’s important to be clear about reporting relationships. Assign a mentor who can help integrate your newest member into the team.
• Follow up is essential – Make a policy to have a formal milestone schedule – 30, 60, 90 days for instance. Check in and chat – make a checklist of goals to discuss. Although you want to give your feedback about their performance, also listen for their concerns. The feedback should go both ways.
• There is a payoff – Studies show that good onboarding practice leads to employee retention.
We spend about one-third of our lives at work – let’s make it matter!
Maya Angelou said, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people WILL NEVER FORGET how you made them feel.”
ABOUT CLAY BURNETT GROUP
We’re a preeminent employment agency headquartered in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County area. We provide quality recruiting services in all industries across California. Look to us for the best professionals. Representing industry leaders in a principled and disciplined way, our executive recruiters find the most qualified candidates for every situation.
If you’re a trained professional in Accounting & Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources or Operations; contact us. We recruit the best people for the best jobs. We will keep your job search completely confidential and respect the need to be discrete always. The ideal fit for your next career move requires a comprehensive understanding of your wants, needs, and aspirations.
We believe our clients and candidates deserve a first-class experience. Please connect if you’re searching for a qualified professional or open to hearing about new opportunities.